Question
1. What question did you try to answer?
2. What terms did you select to begin?
3. What web search engine or engines did you use?
4. Search techniques
a. What search terms did you use?
b. What search techniques did you try?
5. Evaluation
a. How did you evaluate your results?
b. What conclusions did you draw about the different search engines? Consider
i. what was the same?
ii. what was different?
iii. Differences in numbers of results
iv. etc.
c. Why do you think the search engines behaved as they did?
6. What other questions came into your mind as you carried out this exercise?
Answer
1. How can we stop global warming?
2. "How" "Stop" "Global Warming"
3. Google, Yahoo, Ask.com
4. a) I used "How" "Stop" "Global Warming"
b) I tried these term with the Boolean Operators and quotation like "Global Warming" AND Stop
5. a) For evaluating my results I used CARDIO that are Currency, Authority, Relevance, Depth, Information Type & Objectivity
b) i. When I search "How can we stop global warming?", they searched same article. What else, they showed same phrase like "How to stop global warming".
ii. "Google" and "Yahoo!" showed sponsored link at the top of page, but only "ask.com" didn't show it. and also only "ask.com" showed related articles.
iii. "How can we stop global warming?"
Google-8,640,000 results
Yahoo-50,100,000 results
Ask.com-2,698,000 results
"How" "Stop" "Global warming"
Google-6,450,000 results
Yahoo-50,900,000 results
Ask.com- 2,196,000 results
"Global Warming" AND Stop
Google-16,000,000 results
Yahoo-65,100,000 results
Ask.com-2,196,000 results
c) I wanted to limit the results so I used the Boolean Operators and quotation, but it was not effective. I guess if I put more words with the Boolean Operators and quotation, It would have better results.
6. Today what are we doing for stopping Global warming?
I'm glad you tried different techniques. That's good. There are definite differences among the search engines. Size is one of them. About a year or so ago, sometime in 2007, Yahoo revamped their site and claimed to have more results than Google. This search would seem to bear that out, although you'd have to do many more searches to "prove" that fact. Ask.com is definitely the smallest of the three.
返信削除Ask.com is also different in other ways, as you noted above.
Your attempt to limit results did have some effect, as your results for "global warming" AND stop yielded fewer results than your other two searches. By the way, you didn't need the AND, as it's supplied.
16 million is still a high number, as you note, and you'd have to add more search terms to get fewer results, but this is a very broad topic, so I think you'd need a narrower topic to start.
Good work, though.