For your first database:
Question
1. Which database did you choose for your first search?
2. What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
3. How many results did you retrieve?
4. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
5. Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article (I must be able to access this article).
7. How did you determine this article was meaningful?
Answer
1. I chose "ProQuest Newspapers"
2. I searched "neglect"
3. I retrieved 148438 documents
4. I narrowed my topic with suggestions in topic guide.
"neglect" - 148438 > "Child abuse & neglect" - 41945 > "Murders & murder attempts" - 7043 > "Babies" - 361 > "mothers" - 11 > "teenagers" - 1 result
5. As you can see, I could get 1 result with topic guide. In topic guide, I chose a term that I want to know and related with my topic. I entered what I want to know, so it completely matches to my topic because it includes all information I searched.
6." The Region; Teen Mother Won't Serve Prison Time for killing Newborn; Courts: Judge whose only sentencing options were life term or none notes girl's remorse and depression at the time she stabbed her daughter with scissors."
Author: Gene Maddaus and David Hermann
Publication title: Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles, Calif: May 23, 2001. pg. B.6
Source type: Newspaper
ISSN: 04583035
Document URL: http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb ?did=73262524&sid=8 &Fmt=3&clientId=17850&RQT=309&VName=PQD
7. I read the abstract, and I decided it is meaningful.
You did a good job with your search. With evaluation, relevance is one criterion, which you determined when you read the abstract. You also need to consider such things as authority, credibility, etc.--C.A.R.D.I.O. from earlier this quarter.
返信削除