2009年2月23日月曜日

Unit 4 Part 2 research log entry

Question
1. What is the main subject of your question?
2. What subject guide or guides did you use to identify the relevant databases for your question?

Answer
1. My main subject of question is "Maltreatment dimensions."
2. I don't know how to categorize "Maltreatment dimensions," so I used "Social Works" as a subject guide.

Question
1. Which database did you choose for your search?
2. What terms did you enter to conduct your search?
3. How many results did you retrieve?
4. If there were more than about 100 results, how did you refine your search terms to narrow your results?
5. Once you got your results to around 100 (or fewer), how did you determine they were meaningful?
6. Which article did you choose? Give the bibliographic information for that article.
7. How did you determine these articles were meaningful?

First Database
Answer
1. I used Academic Search Premier

2. I entered "Maltreatment dimensions"

3. It hit 5 results.

4. I could get limited results, so I think it is unnecessary to narrow my term; however, if I got more than 100 results, I would use Boolean or change the phrase.

5. I would determine them by checking their abstract and keywords or by C.A.R.D.I.O.

6. I chose "The dimensions of maltreatment: Introduction."

Authors: English, Diana J.
Bangdiwala, Shrikant I.
Runyan, Desmond K.

Publisher: Pergamon Press - An Imprint of Elsevier Science
The Boulevard
Langford Lane
Kidlington
Oxford OX5 1GB
United Kingdom

Bibliographic Records: 07/01/1996 to present

Source: Child Abuse & Neglect; May2005, Vol. 29 Issue 5, p441-460, 20p

URL: http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=aph&jid=CHC&site=ehost-live


7. I determined it is meaningful for fitting my topic well. I read the abstract and it shows exactly what I want know.
In addition, this article was put on the top of the results list, so I felt it might be useful at first.


Second Database
Answer
1. I chose "Social Service Abstract."

2. I entered "Maltreatment dimensions."

3. It hit 8 results.

4. Same as first database, I could get limited results.

5. I would check the title of the article. I think it will be aim for narrow the subject.

6. I chose "Concordance Between Adolescent Reports of Childhood Abuse and Child Protective Service Determinations in an At-Risk Sample of Young Adolescents"

Authors: Everson, Mark D
Smith, Jamie B
Hussey, jon M
English, Diana
Litrownik, Alan J
Dubowitz, Howard
Thompson, Richard
Knight, Elizabeth Dawes
Runyan, Desmond K

Source: Child Maltreatment, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 14-26, Feb. 2008

Publication Year: 2008
Publication Type: Journal Article
Publisher: Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks CA

Update: 20080903


7. It fits my subject well besides there are same author in this article as first article I found. For example, English, Diana and Runyan, Desmond K. It will be aim to select contents of the article.

1 件のコメント:

  1. You did a good job on these; however, you need to keep in mind that on the subject pages, there is often a mix of subject database and general databases. Academic Search Premier is a general database, not a subject or discipline-specific database.

    While social work is a good choice for this topic, you might also want to consider looking at this topic from a medical perspective. There might be useful articles in something like Pub Med, which might consider the dimensions of physical abuse in particular.

    返信削除