1. Which of your questions did you try to answer?
- What was decided in Kyoto protocol?
As Ms Aline says, "Human ecology" is still broad topic, so I narrowed it to "Kyoto protocol" because that is related with Ecology today.
2. What EXACT terms did you enter into the keyword search screen?
- "Kyoto protocol"
3. What subject heading did you choose to be sure your item was on target and the best option for your search?
- Climatic changes-Government policy-Japan
4. What item did you eventually choose? Why?
- I chose " Japan and the Kyoto Protocol : conditions for ratification" because from the outset, wanted to know Ecology movement in Japan, and I believe this book give me the information that I want to know.
5. Give the bibliographic information for the item you chose.
- Author: Hiroshi Matsumura
Title: Japan and the Kyoto Protocol : conditions for ratification
Publ. Info: London : Royal Institute of International Affairs, Energy and Environment Programme ; Washington, DC : distributed worldwide by the Brookings Institution, 2000
Location: Book Stacks
Call No: HC465.A4 M37 2000
Status: ON THE SHELF
6. When you looked at the reference work, what quote did you choose? Why?
- I chose "Kyoto protocol" because it is a proper noun, so it shows exact information I thought.
7. What makes this a reference book as opposed to a regular book you might find in the book stacks?
- This a reference book gives me directly the exact information I wanted to know; on the other hand, a regular book takes time to find the information, besides it sometimes doesn't cover basic information but only an entirely information I guess.
8. In looking at the material in the book and the publication date in the bibliographic information, what year do you think the information really comes from?
- 2008. When I check the material in the library, it says it was published in 2008.
You did a good search and I was glad to see that you could manage the subject headings and use them to good effect.
返信削除The challenge here is that you didn't find a reference book; you found one in the book stacks. To find a reference book, you would need to combine your search terms with "reference collection" which is in the drop down menu of the "location" section in the advanced keyword search screen.
I did a search for
Kyoto Protocol
combined with "reference collection"
and got 1 result:
Global warming : opposing viewpoints / Cynthia A. Bily, book editor
Farmington Hills, MI : Greenhaven Press/Thomson Gale, c2006
This is in the reference section because it presents a wide range of essays on the subject of global warming and includes the Kyoto Protocol, which is mentioned in a couple of the essays.
When it comes to the quote, I expected that you would find the book you chose on the shelves and select a quotation from the content of the book, but I think you must have misinterpreted the question.
As for defining a reference title, the difference between a reference title and a book you check out from the library and take home, a reference title is generally a book you consult rather than one you read from cover to cover. It often has lists of information or references to other materials or is some sort of alphabetic list of short articles covering a wide range of information in the topic (such as an encyclopedia).
With a reference title, you generally broaden your search. When you begin to look at databases this week, narrowing your search will be the right way to go. I wanted to you all to see how you need to manipulate your language in order to meet varying goals of your searches. If you want broad coverage, like a reference book, you choose broader search terms; if you want narrow coverage, like an article, you choose narrower terms.